Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Piece of My Heart

It’s amazing how much one family can touch one’s heart in such a way... this family and these boys are keeping a piece of my heart when I return home. When I first came and started the sponsorship program, we made rounds to each of the children’s house’s that attended Maria’s daycare. She gave us the name of brothers, Abel and Ubaldo, said they used to attend her school, but their mother pulled them out because at 4 & 5 years old, she needed their help at home. They needed to take their father lunch in the fields, take corn to be ground, and run other errands while she took care of house chores and cared for their younger brother. Though they weren’t in the school at the time, we created profiles for the two older boys. With time, we found sponsors for each of them and they returned to school. The sponsors were able to pay for uniforms, school supplies, shoes, etc to help the family. Now after 10 months, all three of the boys are attending full time school and all three have sponsors. From the first time we visited the family, I took a family picture and all five of them had the most beautiful smiles. Most Guatemalans are shy in front of the camera, but they seemed so very happy. Since that day, all I see are their smiles. Every time I saw Abel he was so affectionate. Constantly hugging me and sitting on my lap. I always called him "mi amor" (my love), he eventually started saying it back to me, "Laura, me amor". Then Ubaldo started and every time I’d see them I’d be fortunate enough to receive hugs, kisses and to be called their loves. They soon became some of my favorite visits to make. Their family has been in a tight position the last few months and have racked up a tab for groceries. The person they borrowed money from took the papers for their house and gave them 4 months to pay them back. The 4 months were up this Saturday. Ubaldo’s sponsor, who happens to be in here at the moment, has a beautiful heart and some extra money to share. So for $200, they were able to keep their house. We took the two oldest boys this afternoon for lunch to Pollo Compero. They not only had soda, french fries and chicken, but also played in the jungle gym, and rode with their heads out the window. I adore these boys like they are my own. None of us choose where we are born, or how our cards are dealt, but we figure it out and we work together to make it through life. This will be far be the toughest family to say goodbye too!



Abel & Ubaldo

Ubaldo, mi amor

Abel, Sergio & Ubaldo in front of their house

Besos de mi amor
(kisses from my love)
Lunch at Pollo Compero

Beautiful Ubaldo

Happy Abel

Coming down the slide


Ubaldo in the balls

Feeling the wind. It's a rare occasion to ride in a car.

My precious Ubaldo lovin' life

Is he not precious?!

Ubaldo playing with my camera

...And my glasses

I love these 2 and wish they were mine!

Amazing how life brings people together, no matter how little we can communicate.
I will always love this family and they will hold a piece of my heart forever!

No comments: