Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Kids @ Los Palmares

There is a daycare about a 5 minutes drive/25 minute walk from my house that Hearts In Motion (HIM) has been supporting from the beginning. The teacher, Maria, had polio when she was young. HIM flew her to the states where she lived for an extended time with Karen, the founder of HIM. She wanted to give something back, so HIM set up a daycare in her home that happens to be located in one of the poorest villages in the area. She has 13 children daily, with the help of each mother on different days to prepare food for the children. Maria speaks fluent English and teaches the children words, songs and phrases in English. When groups come to visit, we always take them by to see Maria and her class. The children put on a wonderful presentation for us. I have come to love the kids out there. With time they have all learned my name and call me "Laura." Whether I drive through their village of walk through, there are children running up to me, after me, high fiving me, hugging me, or shouting "Laura" or "Gringa" (white girl). I know I have helped them by setting up this program, however, I'm not sure they will ever know how much their love has affected my life. How much I cherish the hugs I received from them, or even being called a "Gringa." These children, though they have very little, know the meaning of life. They know what it means to love, learn, respect and cherish. Wearing the same 3 outfits days after day, I still don't hear them complaining. Running on the hot asphalt with barefeet, they are still smiling, and they are still teaching me! I will miss these smiles!

Though Shy, Fernanda is the sweetest little thing.

Edison, Victor, Fernanda, Roxana & Yeiner

Maria's daugher, Gabby and I

Beautiful Sonia.
No matter how far away I am, if she sees me, she comes running to give me a hug!

My precious & one of my favorites, Tatiana.
She saw me at someone elses house and came running, with the smile and affection she possesses, there's no way one could resist her.

Tati & I

David and Myra
David is the child my parents sponsor

Dulce Maria, Tatiana, Joana and their mother
My 3 favorite sisters in all of Guatemala.

Tati, Dulce and Joana

Victor, Edison & Sonia playing in the 4-Runner

Berlyn, Edison, Sonia, Victor, Tati & Dulce

Delivering baskets to some of the families


Fernanda's mother and all the girls helping me

No comments: